Please Don't Kill The Sea Turtles


According to the dictionary frugal means “economical in expenditure and not wasteful”. That’s definitely me. Now, with that being said, I’d like the opportunity to explain why I’m that way.

First of all, I’m frugal because I live on a budget.
To live on a budget is to have a plan on how to spend your money; it has nothing to do with being “broke”. You can be on a budget whether you have a lot of money or no money at all. I think people often frown upon the "B word", because they associate it with “restrictions” or “rules”, but in fact, since our family started a monthly financial plan, we have experienced freedom. We know exactly how much money comes in and out of our bank account, and there’s peace of mind that comes with that.

Secondly, I’m frugal, because I don’t like debt.
A good friend once told me to always “live within my means”, I interpreted her advice as “don’t buy useless crap you don’t need on credit so you don’t get in a financial mess later”. I personally think that’s the most useful thing I’ve ever learned, besides “how to find and attend all the free food events on campus” hints from frat guys in college.
Since I've gotten married, My husband and I have tried to stay away from credit cards. We like to pay cash for everything we buy. If we can’t afford something we want, we save our money until we can pay cash for it. I love not having to depend on "Mr. capital one" and their ridiculous interest rates.

Lastly, I’m frugal because I’m environmentally responsible.
As I mentioned on a previous post, my dad always calls me “hippie”, which is totally not the right word to describe me, since I don’t wear tie-dyed shirts, I don’t smoke pot, and I DO shave my armpits. I have tried to explain to him what being “green” means, but he’s such a “baby-boomer”, he just doesn’t get it. By the way, I’m not sure what the term “baby-boomer” actually means. In my world, a “baby-boomer” is any person who is older than me, who does not understand the internet and still pays their bills by mail.
Ok, now back to being environmentally responsible. I don’t like wasting our God given precious resources, so I reduce, reuse and recycle. It feels good to know I’m doing my part to reduce my family’s “carbon footprint”.

So, here is a summary of what I’m trying to say:
I’m not cheap, broke, or a hippie. I’m a person with a financial plan who is not wasteful with my resources and who cares about the Earth.

Now, here is what I originally wanted this post to be about:

5 ways to reuse PLASTIC BAGS (mommy edition)!!

* Instead of buying expensive diaper pail bag refills, place stinky disposable diapers in regular plastic bag before tossing in the pail.
*For easy cleanup, place a plastic bag inside your sink when you peel fruits or vegetables. That way, you can quickly gather and dispose of the peels.
*Wrap gifts with plastic bags. (I got the idea and picture from realsimple.com)
*Always keep a few plastic bags in your car for emergency situations. Those valuable things can be used as a “throw up bag” on road trips, or to hold wet clothes, or to protect your new “hair-do” from the rain, or as a trash bag, or…ok, I think you get the point.
*If you don’t like any of those ideas, please consider depositing your used plastic bags in a recycle bin at your local grocery store.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

or you can tie many plastic bags together and make a "quilt" for that homeless guy you keep seeing on your way to work! Surprisingly it offers substantial insulation from the cold of night (or so I am told)

Beth Aldredge Garfinkel said...

Proud of you girl!

Brittany Godfrey said...

I do appreciate this! I, sadly, have not been able to fully wrap my mind around a "budget" as a way to live, and not a punishment for not having enough. But agree that budgets, when followed, are a beautiful thing.
Thanks!